LEGAL DISCLAIMER: All information contained on these pages is offered as a helpful service.  It it not intended as medical counsel or taking the place of professional guidance.   Please seek the services of a competent veterinarian or professional dog trainer at the first indication of problems.

Animal Poison Control Center

If your dog has ingested a substance that you believe to be toxic,
your first step is to identify the substance in question. Once you know what was ingested, call the Animal Poison Control Center above.  The helpful people on this emergency line will be able to tell you if the substance is caustic or not.  (Note: A  $50 fee may be applied in some cases.)

This is a very important distinction, as caustic substances can NOT be treated by induced vomiting.  Instead, vomiting will cause internal tears in your dog's stomach and his condition will rapidly worsen.

In many cases of poisoning, the immediate treatment is to induce vomiting, but be sure to check with a medical counselor first!


**Warning** - Know the substance before you make your pet vomit
In ALL poisoning cases, please seek veterinary care immediately!

If convulsions, seizures, shock or lethargy are present as symptoms,
do NOT induce vomiting!!

In ALL poisoning cases, please seek veterinary care immediately!
Vomiting is only a temporary fix to give you enough time to get your pet to a vet.

To induce vomiting,  give orally (by mouth) ONE of the following:

Hydrogen Peroxide

Three percent hydrogen peroxide (not hair coloring strength peroxide) is quite effective in making dogs and cats vomit. You must be sure to use three percent peroxide. Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian.